A little late, I know. But here she goes!
- 1 cup quinoa, prepared by package instructions
- 1/4 slicing tomato, diced
- 1/4 vidalia (or other sweet onion), diced
- 1/4 an english cucumber, diced
- 1/4 yellow (or red or orange) bell pepper, diced.
- 2 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- Chill the quinoa after preparing; an hour or so in the fridge would probably do. You could also make the quinoa the night before.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Eat up!
I probably wouldn’t use a green bell pepper in place of the red/yellow/orange…mild flavors are key here…the feta cheese should be the only strong flavor. Feta and cucumber go particularly well together, so this was a winner in our house. You could halve the serving and use it as a side dish, or you can do like I did and demolish the whole thing.
I’ve read lots of complaints that quinoa is too bland…I didn’t find it to be that way at all! It is a mild flavor, but it’s a little nutty, a little like corn, and has a great texture…a perfect base for something like this!
I’f I’d had them, I would have added some chopped kalamata olives to give it a Greek feel, but it’s still awesome as-is.