As with most of my soup recipes, this one is highly customizeable. Experiment at will.
- 1/2 head cabbage, chopped
- 3 kale leaves, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large frozen boneless chicken breast
- 1 15-oz can sweet corn
- 1 15-oz can black beans
- 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 diced onions
- juice of one lime
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 palmfuls garlic powder*
- 1 palmful cumin
- 1 palmful chili powder
- 1/3 cup hot sauce
- Place all items except last 4 in crock pot (mine is about 7 quarts). Nestle the chicken breast in the bottom under most of the veggies.
- Add enough water to cover everything well.
- Add spices and stir
- Set crock pot to low and allow to cook for at least 4 or 5 hours (I let mine go for the entire workday..about 9)
- Remove the chicken breast (you may need to use two spoons, because it’ll be tender). Place chicken breast in a bowl and shred with two forks.
- Add shredded chicken back to soup and stir well
Serve with sour cream, cheese, and/or crushed corn chips! Enjoy!
* For a “palmful,” I basically pour a pile of the spice into the palm of my hand. It’s not a specific measurement, but I estimate that it’s two or three TBSP. Trial and error will tell you what the right amount of spice is for you.